Image Map

Thursday, September 16, 2010

There's a gator out there!

Thursday, September 9

Today Shawn got up early and golfed with Dan, and I layed out at the pool for a few hours and then got ready so that when Shawn got home we could go to Gatorland.  What a fun place to go!  When I first saw the website for it, I thought it would be fun to go to.  But then it had such mixed reviews, some people liked it, some people didn't; I wasn't for sure what to expect.  I copied this from their website:  Gatorland is a one-of-a-kind, protected habitat for man and beast where adventures lurk around every corner! Internationally known as the Alligator Capital of the World, Gatorland's 110-acre theme park and nature conservatory is located in Central Florida at the head of the Florida Everglades. Once you have experienced Gatorland, it will be hard to believe that it began in 1949 as a roadside attraction!


We got there around 1:30 p.m. and they closed at 5:00 p.m., and we had plenty of time to see everything.  We did miss two of the three shows they offered, so I would definitely recommend going sooner than we did.  They also have a train that runs around the park, however the day we went, it was down for maintenance.  It was also very hot the day we went, however there was just enough shade from different exhibits and buildings to help keep the sun off of us at times.  We also did the swamp walk.  While it was interesting to be walking through a swamp area, and they had lots of educational information about it, it was also HOT! 

There was thousands of alligators and crocodiles, a breeding marsh with boardwalk and observation tower, reptilian shows, aviary, petting zoo, swamp walk, gator wrestling, a splash park, educational programs and much, much more.  I would definitely recommend going here if you are in the Orlando/Kissimmee area.

After we left Gatorland, we went to a flea market and walked around.  Shawn got a couple little things, but there was nothing there that sparked my fancy.  I was mainly looking for a new purse and couldn't find one.  After we left the flea market, we went to a few other little stores to look and then headed to Sonny's BBQ for supper.  Sonny's is definitely a great place to eat.  I remember eating at one down in Sarasota quite a few years ago when I went down there with my friends mom for vacation one year. 












No comments: