Image Map

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Thanks Newburgh Volunteer Fire Department

for your fast response time and your help. It was a few minutes after 2 this morning and Shawn and I and all of the animals were asleep downstairs in the living room when all 6 of our alarms in the house started going off. It scared the hejeebies out of us and we didn't know what was going on. We didn't smell smoke or fire or feel heat. I actually didn't know if the alarms were smoke alarms, fire alarms or carbon monoxide detectors. We both ran through the house checking everything and couldn't find anything to warrant them going off. I didn't know if I should call 911 or not. I called my mom cause moms always know what to do. She said to just call them and tell them what's going on. Shawn tried to call just the fire dept to ask them about it, but got an answering machine. So I called 911 and told the lady on the phone what was going on. She said she would send someone out to check them. I turned the porch light on and opened the door and waited for them. Within just a minute or two, a volunteer fireman showed up in his car. He came inside and checked the alarms out. Then another volunteer showed up. And the next thing I knew, there was a fire truck outside with its lights on and there were two or three more firemen in the house in all their equipment going upstairs with a ladder to check the attic. Come to find out, all of our smoke detectors are hard wired together with battery backup and when one of the batteries starts to go bad, it sets them off. So we just need to get new batteries in all of the detectors. This was definitely an eye-opening experience to me to replace the batteries every six months like recommended and to clean the alarms periodically cause if they get too dusty, they can go off. I'm also going to be purchasing a carbon monoxide detector and a fire extingusher cause we don't have one of those either. Every since mom had her house fire a few years ago and lost everything but the brick foundation, I'm such a freak about fires and such. It's making my stomach hurt just thinking about it.

2 comments:

MECH said...

This cracks me up, I'm just glad you guys are o.k.! I would have been freaking out!!!!

MECH said...

She works in Newburgh at ImageMakers across from Wesselmans! She's good at what she does! This is the only way I know to comment on posts.......