Image Map

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Gatlinburg Vacay 2013: Tuesday

We slept in a little later on Tuesday morning and then got ready and headed out for the day.

First stop, the new Ferris Wheel at the Island in Pigeon Forge.  The night before we bought the night/day ticket so we were going for our day ride.  Definitely more amazing views during the day.  The ferris wheel is new and just opened this summer.  It's a definite must do when in the area.






After the ferris wheel, we drove over to Dandrige, TN to visit the Bush's Baked Bean's visitor center.  We actually saw this two years ago when we were on our way to the Biltmore House in Ashville, NC.  I investigated it then and decided we would visit it the next time we were in the area.  It had great reviews on Trip Advisor and everyone was right.  This was a neat little must-do, at least once, if you are in the area.  Lots of great photo ops, gifts in the gift shop, and very interesting videos on the Bush's and how the process goes from the bean in the field to the canned beans on the store shelves!  We didn't get to meet Jay or Duke, but we did get a photo taken inside that they print out and give you for free!  And then Shawn and I took these silly photos outside the visitor's center!






This bag is filled up with beans!  If you stand each bean end to end, they would be almost as tall as the Empire State Building!



Shawn's weight in beans!


They also have a restaurant you can eat at, but we already had plans to drive over to Cosby, TN and eat lunch at Carver's Apple House.  I read about it on Trip Advisor as well and it had great reviews!  Those people weren't kidding, their food was yummy, and the views were amazing!



I ordered the daily special and got chicken and dumplings, mashed potatoes and corn, and it came with a drink and dessert...homemade carrot cake with cream cheese icing that was amazing!  Shawn got the fish, mashed potatoes and cole slaw.  And both meals came with apple fritters with apple butter, apple cider, and apple cider rolls. 



After we ate, we perused their produce area.  I have to tell you, I was completely in shock at the amount of apples they carried and the amount of people in there buying multiple paper grocery sacks full of apples!  I just stood there looking around at all the business going on around me!


Who knew I had a candy store?  I bet Gavin would love me even more! ;)


After we left there, we headed back into Gatlinburg and went to the Ripley's Aquarium.  We came here our first year in Gatlinburg and thought it would be fun to go back.  It's a nice aquarium.  I think my fave part was the water tunnel that you stood on the walkway and it took you through it.  I also enjoyed watching all of the huge stingrays swimming around.  Reminds me of seeing them in the ocean last year in Florida!












I also got my smashed penny! 

After the aquarium, it was time for dinner at Jose's Cantina, which conveniently was located right across from the parking lot of the aquarium.  We actually asked if we could park in their parking lot since we were having dinner there later and they said we could.  Thanks for saving me $10 in parking Jose's!  Someone had told me their food was good and we enjoyed it.  Our favorite was the double decker taco Shawn got. 


After all that, Shawn wanted a sweet treat at the Marble Slab Creamery and then it was back to the hotel to sleep before we started the next days activities!

No comments: