Image Map

Monday, December 17, 2012

Making Peppermint Candy

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.....I'm making my annual peppermint candy!  I've been making this candy for over 10 years!  I still remember the first time I had it....I worked at Citizen's Bank and a little ol' lady named Marjorie gave me a little bag of it.  From the first bite I was hooked and have been making it ever since!  It's so simple and fast to make and it's always a hit at Christmas gatherings!

The ingredients are easy....two bags of the white candy discs to one bag of red and green crushed peppermint.  I've made it before with almond bark and crushed up peppermints.....it is not the same!  I repeat...it is NOT the same!  Don't waste your time or money doing it that way!

This year after I break it up, I'm going to divvy it up amongst these cute little Santa baking cups.

So start out with your ingredients...


Then I line two cookie sheets with wax paper...


Next I concoct my make shift double boiler to melt the white candy discs in...You can melt them in the microwave, but I've found that doing so with the double boiler makes the candy discs more creamer...


Add your white candy discs...


This next picture isn't a step, but a look inside the peppermint candy bag... :)


I keep stirring the candy discs around.  Once they start melting they start to clump together, but keep moving it around, they will all eventually melt...


Keep stirring it until it all melts into a creamy, smooth texture...


Add your bag of red and green crushed peppermint...


Stir it all up and remove from heat...


Dump the mixture onto your two cookie sheets covered with wax paper...


Spread it all out to fill the pans up and then I pop them into the refrigerator until it's hardened, then I break them up into bite size pieces...




No comments: