Image Map

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Daniel Fast 2011 - The first seven days

Our church is once again participating in the Daniel Fast for 21 days.  We are doing it a bit different than in past years.  This year we are doing the fast for 7 days, then off for 3 days, fasting for 7 days, off for 3 days, and fasting for 7 days.  I wasn't how sure I felt about this when I first found out, but I am glad we are doing it this way this year.  The first year we did the fast, I enjoyed it; the second year, not so much.  The second year my heart was not in the fast at all; I didn't pray like I should have nor did I read my Bible like I should have.  And I flaunted it around to everyone that we were fasting.  I really struggled with it and had a few breakdowns.  This year, I'm so excited that we are doing it again.  My heart is really in it and I've been reading the word and praying for God to help me on the fast.  I want to draw closer to him.  I'm praying, fasting, and beliving in God to answer the prayers and desires of my heart - to be a mom.  Shawn and I have been trying to conceive for over 3 years now. 

As always I intended to blog each day of the fast with what we are having and and pictures and how I felt, but so far I haven't.  So I'll recap our menu with our suppers.  Our lunches the next day were always leftovers from the previous night's dinner.  Breakfast for me was usually a banana and peanuts.  I snacked on bananas, peanuts, apples, and organic popcorn.  Shawn's breakfast was usually oatmeal with cinnamon and raisins, and bananas.  We also had salad with each meal and I had fresh fruit with each meal.

Our menu for this past week has been:

Sunday:  whole-wheat angel hair pasta with organic spaghetti sauce with onions and diced zuchinni, and corn, salad, and fresh fruit

Monday:  great northern beans with green onions, fried potatoes with onions, and corn, salad, and fresh fruit

Tuesday:  cabbage soup with cabbage, red beans, onions, corn, diced tomatoes, and green onions, and I made a corn muffin with cornmeal, green onions and corn, salad, and fresh fruit

Wednesday:  whole-wheat angel hair pasta with onions, garlic, squash, zucchini, yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes and basil, salad, and fresh fruit

Thursday:  corn and potato chowder with potatoes, carrots, corn, onion, green onion, veggie broth, and soy milk, salad, and fresh fruit

Friday:  tacos/salads with veggie crumbles, taco seasoning, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green onions, organic refried beans, brown rice with corn and diced tomatoes, organic chips and salsa

Saturday:  Chili like Wendy's minus the meat, pinto beans, dark red kidney beans, diced tomatoes with green chili's, tomato sauce, onions, and celery

2 comments:

ღJessicaღ said...

you gave me a ton of ideas for the daniel fast. i guess we just didn't study enough of what we could have. i didn't realize you could have organic sauces and such. adam was doing the daniel fast a few weeks ago and it seemed like the poor guy couldn't eat anything! So yea, thanks for the ideas!! =)we are gonna miss escog!! :( wish we could of gotten together before we leave this weekend....but come visit! i am serious!! come visit!!

Stacey Jessee Glenn said...

Poor guy - I bet he was starving! I know I'm usually starving eat all that we do eat. Definitely google Daniel Fast and there will be tons of information on it. One of my fave links to use is this - http://danielfast.wordpress.com/daniel-fast-food-list/ - this is a food list of what you can and can't have. I know we are still probably having stuff that we shouldn't, but we aren't eating meats, dairy or sweets - the big things I guess. It's really ALOT of label reading! If the label has alot of ingredients in it that I can't pronounce or that I know are chemicals, it goes back on the shelf. When we did the fast the first time, I was like the fasting police. Now I realize it's all about what you yourself can and can't do and will and won't allow on it. Did that make sense? LOL!

I wish we could of gotten together too. I feel like I'm losing a really good friend, even though we really don't even know each other. Definitely keep in touch via our blogs and FB. And when we come to Gatlinburg in the fall, we will definitely try to get together with you all!